Invited to a beach wedding? We’re not surprised! There’s something so romantic about exchanging vows in the sand next to crashing ocean waves or alongside a peaceful rippling lake. The location is a no-brainer really—until it comes to beach wedding guest attire. That part can be quite tricky.
For example, smart suits and elegant gowns might look a tad overdone (and maybe super-uncomfortable) in the sand or summer heat. Your typical summer wardrobe probably includes jean shorts, tank tops, and swimsuits, right? But beach wedding attire is a whole different look—you’ll need to take into account how formal the wedding will be. You’ll also need to mind the elements: sun, sand, water, and wind. Lighter colors and fabrics will keep you cool (though darker shades and absorbent fabrics may better hide sweat), and it’s even okay to go sockless or wear sandals. But unless otherwise indicated by the couple, your best bet is to skip the T-shirts and flip-flops to be sure you’re tastefully dressed for the occasion.
Look Your Best
A day of fun in the sun is ahead, and in order to look your best, you need to feel your best. That means looking for beach wedding guest dresses that are not only stylish but also comfortable. Summer breezes can also kick up short, flirty skirts, so consider midi and maxi lengths instead of minis unless you’re wearing a sturdier fabric. Since you’ll likely be walking in sand (no easy feat in high heels!), we recommend pairing dressy wedges or flat sandals with beach wedding guest dresses. Just steer clear of rubber flip-flops unless handed out by the couple.
You’ve got a wide variety of choices when it comes to deciding what to wear to a casual beach wedding. We’ve rounded up a selection of beach wedding guest dresses (plus a unique alternative) that’ll make you feel right at home in the sand.
- This color-blocked beach wedding guest dress is fresh, super-chic and complete with a stylish chevron print and flowy pleats. We love the bright pops of green, pink and blue, which pair perfectly with white accessories like a woven handbag and block heels.
2. Between the snakeskin print in a summery pastel shade and the retro, belted, halter-neck silhouette, this light, flowy midi is as cool as it gets. This beautiful beach dress should be paired with some nice brown sandals.
3. When in doubt, put a bird on it—a tropical bird, obviously. Pair this dress with gold kitten heels that look ultra-chic and offer much-needed stability.
4. What screams casual beach wedding? This laidback, sunshiny crocheted maxi. (Don’t worry if yellow isn’t your color—it comes in other options as well.) The solid base makes accessorizing extra-fun—have you considered colorful (or even patterned!) kicks in complementary hues?
5. Searching for dresses to wear to a beach wedding with sleeves for fighting off UV rays? Try this boho plus-size beach wedding guest attire. The chiffon number comes in a total destination celebration-worthy tropical print.